How to protect your skin during the Monsoon Season
Monsoon brings a huge amount of respite from the sweltering heat. Everything around us looks lush and green. However, monsoon can bring joy and play havoc depending on your location and personal preferences. As the rains draw near, so does bacteria and humidity which can be harmful for our skin. Indian monsoon in particular brings along a barrage of skin problems that may not be life threatening but can cause serious discomfort. One thing is certain, that our skin needs more love and care during the monsoon.
Excessive humidity in the air during the monsoon is the time that fungal infections show their ugly fangs. Skin allergies are extremely common in cities where pollution levels are high. For people with sensitive or oily acne prone skin, monsoons can be a nightmare.
It's important to change our skin care regime according to the changing seasons. Universal tips to follow during the monsoon to keep the skin protected are:
1. Drinking plenty of water so your body comfortably flushes out all toxins that can lead to acne and pimples.
2. Using natural, vegan ingredients that cause less harm to skin. Avoiding products that contain alcohol as they tend to strip the skin of healthy oils that are essential for good skin.
3. Avoiding makeup that is comedogenic and tends to block skin pores and cause breakouts.
4. Using a sunscreen that is sweat proof. A cloudy or rainy day doesn't mean your skin is safe from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. Skipping sunscreen is not an option.
The basic rule to follow during the monsoon is to “cleanse, tone and moisturise” or what is commonly known as CTM.
1. Cleansing in Monsoon: During the monsoon your skin is more prone to bacterial infections, dryness or sudden oiliness. To keep your skin looking fresh and flawless, the first step is to cleanse it with a gentle face wash that has non-irritant ingredients that also provides a boost of hydration. Using cleansing products that contain neem, tea tree, aloe vera and other natural ingredients that are anti-bacterial will do wonders for your skin. Ensure your product has pore cleaning ingredients for a thorough and deep cleanse.
2. Toning in Monsoon: A toner is truly a secret beauty tool that can’t be raved about enough. After a thorough cleanse of the face, always use a toner that contains no alcohol to remove the leftover dirt and makeup from your face. Leave it to dry for a minute so your pores close properly and your skin is ready for your serum and/or moisturiser. A toner is an unquestionable requirement during the monsoon as it invigorates the skin and clogged pores that may lead to breakouts. There is a vast variety of toners available today with natural ingredients for every skin type so there are no excuses for skipping this step.
3. Moisturising in Monsoon: The last step to CTM is moisturizing. This step is important to keep your skin hydrated and soft. But it's very important to choose the right moisturiser for the monsoon as using a heavy cream in the humidity will either make you end up with acne or an excessively oily looking face. Use an oil-free formulation with calming and natural ingredients. Gel and water based formulations work best during the monsoon as they are lightweight, smooth and minimise the appearance of pores and fine lines whilst making your skin glow.
Other important steps to follow in the monsoon season are exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and help unclog pores. It's really no secret that clogged pores lead to blackheads and acne. Exfoliation also helps in the growth of new skin cells to reveal beautiful, glowing skin. Using a Vitamin C serum is another tip to keep the skin's texture in order as it has antioxidant properties which not only protect from sun damage, but also prevent bacterial growth. Using clay face masks are also a great way to fight bacterial infections that cause acne to erupt on your face. They also help get rid of the oily layer on the skin whilst toning and refreshing it.
Being consistent with CTM, exfoliation and masking will help fight monsoon skin woes. Glow by Tressmart has a special range for monsoon care which leaves you with no excuses to have soft and supple skin this monsoon!
Read More - HOW TO TAKE CARE OF SUMMER SKIN PROBLEMS